Granny's Pride

Sunday, November 26, 2006

My News

Since the only ones who read this are people that I don't mind having this information, I am going to post this here.

On January 29, 2007, I will be flying to Toronto to have a Lapband inserted. This will create a small pocket at the top of my stomach. It will leave a small opening to the rest of my stomach and will reduce the amount of food that I can eat before feeling full and satiated. Since they will not cut into my stomach or intestines like all other gastric surgeries do there is a much shorter recovery time. I also will not have to worry about becoming malnourished as I will be able to eat most any food that I desire barring things like nuts and popcorn. I spoke to my doctor about it and though he didn't understand exactly what the lapband was, he is supportive and willing to help me with this.

Within about a year I should have lost about 75% of my excess weight.

Now for my rant. Our provincial health plan will pay the full cost for me to take months off work, have my stomach cut out (irreversable) and part of my intestines removed (again irreversable), risk life threatening infections and complications (which happens at some point to most gastric bypass patients) but they will not pay a penny towards having a surgery that simply places a band around the stomach (can be removed if it became a problem). Makes great sense, doesn't it.

If this surgery is successful my plan is to start a campaign to have this covered by our provincial plan.

6 Comments:

  • Go Mom!!!!

    By Blogger Jacqui, at 2:02 PM  

  • Go Mom!!!!

    By Blogger Jacqui, at 2:02 PM  

  • I don't know who askinstoo is but I don't need this kind of comments at this time. Besides if you read the blog you will realize that I am NOT having a gastric bypass.

    By Blogger Granny, at 8:21 PM  

  • askinstoo is not a real person, askinstoo is a automatic computer generated advertisement that picks up on key words you write here at Blogspot.com and sends you a message disgused as a person.

    I hate them, they annoy me.

    go MOM!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM  

  • Thanks for the info Monty. I am glad to hear that this is just another form of junk mail as I was a bit upset that someone I didn't know would go onto my blog.

    Hope your plans for christmas are going well.

    By Blogger Granny, at 4:13 PM  

  • Thanks for the info Monty. I am glad to hear that this is just another form of junk mail as I was a bit upset that someone I didn't know would go onto my blog.

    Hope your plans for christmas are going well.

    By Blogger Granny, at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home